MINNEAPOLIS – Revenge. Drama. Love-Love.
It was a not-so typical Friday evening for the No. 38-ranked Carleton College men’s tennis team—except for maybe the love-love part—as the Knights prevailed in a pair of tight tussles atop the singles lineup to close out a 9-0 victory over Hamline University.
The session began in doubles, where Carleton (19-2, 6-0 MIAC) cruised to a trio of victories and dropped only three combined games. However, the real drama was saved for singles play, where the top players in this evening’s Carleton lineup—sophomore Leo Vithoontien (Bangkok, Thailand/Bangkok Patana School) and first-year Xander Roti (Locust Valley, N.Y./Friends Academy)—squared off against the same opponents that defeated the two Knights during the ITA Fall Regional tournament.
Vithoontien successfully avenged his early season loss to Jack Trondson—who is listed at No. 11 in the ITA’s national rankings for singles—in the finals of the regional tournament. Vithoontien claimed the first set 6-1 on Friday, lost the second set 4-6, and then prevailed 10-6 in the super tiebreaker. He demonstrated that he was worthy of his No. 15 national ranking after improving to 19-1 versus NCAA Division III foes this season.
“Leo is such a stubbornly competitive player that you have to drag him off the court like a computer hacker being removed from an Ecuadorian embassy,” said Carleton head coach Stephan Zweifel.
After besting Elias Ramirez 7-6 (7-5) in the opening set, Roti dropped the second set by a 2-6 margin. When the dust finally settled in the super tiebreaker, the Carleton rookie had claimed a 12-10 decision.
Lewis White (Jr./Minneapolis, Minn./Breck), Sahil Chhugani (Jr./Rochester, Minn./Century), Johnny Reichman (Sr./Shavano Park, Texas/Clark), and Christof Zweifel (So./Northfield, Minn./Northfield) all secured straight-set victories in singles.
UP NEXT FOR THE KNIGHTS
Carleton hosts regionally-ranked Coe College for a 9:00 a.m. contest on Sunday, April 14 at the Rochester Athletic Club.
#38 Carleton College 9, Hamline University 0
1. #15 Leo Vithoontien (CAR) def. #11 Jake Trondson (HUM) 6-1, 4-6, 1-0 (10-6)
2. Xander Roti (CAR) def. Elias Ramirez (HUM) 7-6 (7-5), 2-6, 1-0 (12-10)
3. Lewis White (CAR) def. Tou Ger Xiong (HUM) 6-0, 6-1
4. Sahil Chhugani (CAR) def. Nazeer Robinson (HUM) 6-2, 6-1
5. Johnny Reichman (CAR) def. Andrew Argeros (HUM) 6-4, 6-2
6. Christof Zweifel (CAR) def. Cory Penick (HUM) 6-4, 6-0
1. #19 Jordon O’Kelly/Leo Vithoontien (CAR) def. Jake Trondson/Elias Ramirez (HUM) 8-0
2. Aaron Goodman/Xander Zuczek (CAR) def. Cory Penick/Nazeer Robinson (HUM) 8-2
3. Jonas Lindholm-Uzzi/Sahil Chhugani (CAR) def. Tou Ger Xiong/Levi Duwenhoegger (HUM) 8-1